The weather lately has been somewhat unusual and many think including me that this unusual weather pattern is in part due to global warming. Is there a climate crisis upon us? There are as many non-believers as there are believers of global warming; as you know, Global warming refers to the rising average temperature of earth’s atmosphere and oceans and thus, how we use energy. “The buildup of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere, mainly from our fossil fuel emissions, is the most significant human cause of global warming. The non-believers argue that predictions made by various environmentalists and scientists are based on climatic models and that the focus should be on the natural induced causes which we cannot control. Other arguments against Global Warming are,
“Global warming is a minor issue compared to major issues like HIV/AIDS, Nuclear proliferation and poverty are not being devoted their deserved time and resources.
- Global warming is merely a vested interest of scientists. It is said that scientists exaggerate the effects of global warming because they receive funds from environmental companies.
- Global warming is believed, also, to be the outcome of failed computer climate models. It is argued that these models are not able to predict even tomorrow’s weather accurately, so how can they predict long-term climate change?
- Detractors also say that since scientists have made wrong predictions before, science and scientists are not always right. Perhaps they have made an error in their calculations or drawn incorrect conclusions on available evidence, thus making global warming a virtual rather than a real problem.
- Since we don’t have long term historical records of the climate that Earth has witnessed, global warming could well be only a hypothesis.
- It is argued that water vapor plays a major part in global warming. Anthropogenic emissions of carbon dioxide, methane, hydrocarbons and other green-house gases have only a minor role to play.
- The data on temperature increase that scientists keep producing as evidence is nothing to worry about because the increase in the temperature has in fact been gradual, spread over more than a hundred years. Also, the earth was warmer before. That did not have harmful consequences on humans. Why will it now? In fact people argue that the increase in temperature will help plants grow in currently cold and uninhabitable areas. The increase in the level of carbon dioxide will also stimulate plant growth.”
It is important to note that the majority of scientist support the fact that in the last 30 – 40 years, the earth has gotten warmer but the disagreement lies in the reason for the warm up.
Do you agree with the arguments for Global Warming? Did you see Al Gore’s documentary “An Inconvenient truth”?